6.07.2009

Wine of the Week: Stag's Leap 2005 Napa Valley Petite Syrah

If this wine's label strikes you as a bit more fancy than usual, I'll provide fair warning that your instincts are correct. This bottle checks in well above my usual $20 price cap. In fact, the reason I purchased it at all was because, after enjoying this wine at the extravagant restaurant price during a friend's birthday dinner several months ago, I was thrilled to find it at Trader Joe's for around $33. I had to pick it up.

Not being one to wait for the ever-elusive perfect occasion to open a special bottle, I left this one in the cellar only until the moment felt right. And that moment was a casual Saturday evening at home with Kevin just this past weekend. We opened it late in the evening and each had a generous glass - the perfect opportunity to truly enjoy and appreciate a good wine.

The 2005 Napa Valley Petite Syrah has an extremely dark ruby hue, and abounding aromas. I picked up smoky leather notes right away, followed by dark purple fruits - blackberry and plum - and also some cassis. There was a particular sweetness to the scent as well, perhaps a vanilla, and floral undertones. Cocoa was the last scent that I picked up, but it is not to be underestimated.

If you like big California wines, this wine is for you. It is full-bodied, with prominent tannins and a long finish, but is still surprisingly well-balanced. Flavors are both juicy and savory, with the same plum, blackberry, and cassis as on the nose, but also including smoky and spicy elements as well. The finish is slightly bitter. I called it medicinal, but others have likened it to bitter chocolate, which is probably a more appealing description! Overall, this wine is very good, though too pricey to be an everyday wine for me. Perhaps next time I will spring for it on only a very special occasion - or, better yet, find a $20-and-under "stand in"!

No comments:

Post a Comment