6.16.2009

Wine of the Week: Altos Las Hormigas Malbec 2007 & 2008

Since Malbec was my wine of choice for much of late 2007 and early 2008, I thought it would only be appropriate to review one. After all, Malbec is the quintessential value wine these days, often coming in at the under $20 price-point while still offering a reasonably rich and complex wine experience. I know I am in good company in having an affinity for it.

A couple of weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised by the Altos Las Hormigas 2007 Malbec. I was so impressed with it, in fact, that I went back to the store to get a second bottle. But when I got there, I found not the 2007, but the 2008 vintage. It seemed like a great opportunity to compare, so I brought a bottle of the 2008 home.

Let me start by saying that both vintages are good. I do favor the 2007 slightly, but at around $13, the 2008 is still a well-worthy wine. Both wines are dark purple to ruby in color, and they share some aromas, but yet have subtle differences. My 2007 tasting notes included black cherry, raspberry, cassis, fig (or something similarly sweet), and even a slightly medicinal note. The 2008, however, still had the black cherry and raspberry, but they were rounded out by a floral scent and some spice (the winery's tasting notes say violet and nutmeg, but I'll leave that up to you).

In terms of taste, the 2007 was positively juicy, with blackberry and black cherry flavors, and just a hint of cocoa. The 2008 wasn't as juicy, but still had a strong blackberry flavor and an undeniable blueberry aspect. Instead of cocoa, the 2008 tasted of spice.

The Altos Las Hormigas Malbec is a full-bodied, structured wine, regardless of the vintage. Tannins are prominent from the mid-palate through the long finish to the end. I found these both to be great wines, best enjoyed immediately upon opening. Drink them right away - they don't retain their bold flavors overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment