6.22.2009

Veronica's Potato Salad

I am aware that today's recipe requires a bit of suspended disbelief for most people. So, I have to ask you, Dear Reader, to hang in there with me. I promise - This is a great dish, and one I have made over and over, which is why I am very excited to share it with you!

Yesterday's Father's Day holiday reminded me again of Giada De Laurentiis' recipe for Veronica's Potato Salad. If I remember correctly, the recipe was Giada's mother, Veronica De Laurentiis', recipe (hence the name). How fitting, then, that the first guests that I ever served it to were my own parents, for a Father's Day picnic several years ago. I have to admit that I've made a few adjustments to the recipe, but the main "suspended disbelief" ingredient remains intact in my version - hot dogs!

As usual, the key to this simple recipe is choosing quality ingredients. As you might imagine, that holds particularly true for the hot dogs, which are not camouflaged in any way in the final product. I generally choose a kosher all-beef variety (tonight I used Hebrew National Beef Franks), but you could use any type that you find exceptionally tasty. I think it would be interesting to try a chicken sausage in this recipe too, for instance. Also, Giada's version calls for regular russet potatoes with the skin removed, but I've found that I like to use a more waxy variety of "new" potato, like a redskin or a yukon gold, and leave the skin on. Finally, in a pinch, or if you just don't like it, the basil isn't essential. The parsley in this recipe really does the heavy lifting of giving it that aspect of freshness, and sometimes that's all I use. This seven ingredient mayo-free and mediterranean-inspired version of a classic picnic staple is truly worth suspending your disbelief!

The recipe for Veronica's Potato Salad can be found at www.foodnetwork.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment