1.17.2009

Stracciatella

In January and February, when the temperatures in Michigan drop into the teens and the ground seems to be permanently covered with ice and snow, I often feel compelled to put a pot of simmering soup on the stove. It seems that nothing else can do such a thorough job of warming a person both inside and out! So as I sat at the kitchen table with my coffee this morning, watching yet another four inches of snow falling on my front yard, it became apparent that it would be a soup day. In addition to its warmth, soup is also great because it is often easy to make, and usually good to freeze for later. Today I tried out this recipe for Stracciatella (literally "little rags") from cookbook author Martha Rose Shulman, courtesy of Sunset magazine. After a particularly indulgent holiday season, I found this soup to be just perfect. As Shulman says, the "Broccoli rabe's slight bitterness contrasts nicely with [the] mellow chicken broth". The result is a sufficiently light, yet filling, winter dish. I ate it with a slice of bread and a glass of crisp white wine to make it a meal. As an added bonus, this soup was very quick and easy to make, and is a wonderful way to get your leafy greens!

Stracciatella with broccoli rabe
- Martha Rose Schulman (from Sunset magazine)
(Recipe at myrecipes.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment