9.07.2010

Mint Your Melon

Mint is an aggressive plant, to say the least - it sometimes seems like you just couldn't kill it if you tried. In fact, I have a window box of mint that I have been neglecting for several years, but it never fails to come back in the spring, even after the most cold and bitter winter weather! Currently, it is mounting a campaign to expand right off my back deck.

Since mint is so omnipresent in my outdoor space, I am always on the lookout for more uses for it. It can be tricky, but necessary, since one can only have so many mojitos before needing to move on...

A few years ago, in a pinch for a picnic side, I grabbed the two things I had on hand - a fresh watermelon and a few sprigs of fresh mint and...viola! The most simple, but refreshing, fruit salad to accompany my turkey sandwiches with rosemary mustard. The combination of watermelon and mint is unendingly cool.

This month, I was reminded of the simple genius of melon and mint when I came across this recipe for Watermelon Salad with Mint and Lime in Food & Wine. I love the addition of lime to the watermelon and mint combo - it is so bright. I think this is great with just the three ingredients, but of course you can always add the cayenne and salt to round out the recipe. And, interestingly, if you add the rum...well, then, I guess you're back at the mojito.

No comments:

Post a Comment