2.12.2009

Wine of the Week: Paul Jaboulet Aine Cotes du Rhone Parellele 45 2006

I drank quite a bit of this wine while in Bora Bora a few months ago, so when I saw it offered at Trader Joe's for $11.99, I couldn't resist buying a bottle to see if I would like it just as much when it is not accompanied by the view of a startlingly aqua ocean. It turns out that it is still good - even while I sit in Michigan with a view of...snow. This Cotes du Rhone is a blend of 60% Grenache and 40% Syrah, which is not surprising for the Rhone Valley region. The wine is a deep ruby in color and has a fruity "plumy" scent, with a bit of spice and perhaps a hint of floral notes. The taste is dry, but also fruity and wonderfully balanced. The alcohol, acid, and tannins do not overwhelm the fruit, but rather harmonize with it to create a very drinkable wine. The finish is medium and a bit tart. Overall, I have to give this wine high marks for value. At well under $15, I will definitely buy it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment