2.07.2009

Wine of the Week: Ehlers Estate 2005 Sauvignon Blanc

Whenever I am in my old neighborhood during business hours, I try to make time to stop by my favorite wine shop in town. This week's Wine of the Week is a testament as to why the shop is my favorite - They recommend good wines at good prices! This bottle is generally around twenty dollars, though I got it for fifteen, and it is well worth that price, in my opinion. The wine is very light in color, pale yellow with almost a greenish tint. The aroma is sweet apple or pear with just the slightest tinge of "carmelization", due to the short time it was oaked. The taste, however, is citrus-dominated. I've read several reviews that have referred to its fig flavors, which do come through for me, along with a slight minerality. This is a medium bodied white, with a substantial finish, that is well-balanced and complex. I would serve it for dinner guests with no reservations - It is definitely a Saturday night pick! The bonus? One hundred percent of the proceeds from the sale of Ehlers Estate wines go to support the Leducq Foundation, a highly regarded, not-for-profit foundation dedicated to funding international cardiovascular research.

No comments:

Post a Comment