1.17.2010

Wine of the Week: 2008 Rayun Syrah

I have to admit that I became much more interested in this wine when it got a mention as a good pairing for a recipe that I was perusing in the February issue of Food & Wine, and I realized that I just happened to have a bottle waiting in my wine rack. Not that a recommendation in Food & Wine automatically guarantees that I will love a wine but, to be honest, I just haven't as yet found so many fool-proof sources of good under-$20 wine recommendations in my new neighborhood. Thus, I've been trying a lot of less-than-desirable wine. I brought the bottle with us to our favorite neighborhood BYOB pizza place that night, excited by the possibility of a decent $10 find.

A decent $10 find it is, and an excellent pairing for pizza, at that. As one might expect from a young Syrah, the color is a dark purple. The aromas are slightly sour and slightly smoky, in a red fruit-meets-wood stove kind of way, but with a hint of blackberry. I expected this wine to be quite full-bodied and spicy, but found that it was neither as chewy and tannic as I anticipated, nor as peppery. But, the less prominent (but still bold) body and tannins, as well as the balance of fruit and acid, make it an incredibly drinkable red that is a great match for a rich meal full of cheese and red sauce. The flavors are red fruit dominated - think cherries - with a bit of bitter mocha. Definitely worth the $10, and a screw top to boot: no opener required!

No comments:

Post a Comment