1.07.2010

Sauteed Kale with Smoked Paprika

After braving frigid temperatures on the way to my neighborhood market yesterday, I was relieved to find that the last two tiny bunches of kale were still there just waiting for me to carry them home. I love the hearty winter green for its flavor and weight, not to mention its resilience in my refrigerator - I can always count on it to last while I use up all of my other more perishable produce. These bunches didn't have a chance to prove their longevity, though, as I used them right away!

My favorite thing to do with kale these days is based on this Bon Appetit recipe for Sauteed Kale with Smoked Paprika. It's relatively quick and quite easy and, with a couple of adaptations, I've managed to make it into a meal. As the recipe mentions, any type of kale will do for this dish. I usually rip the leaves into bite-sized pieces before washing them in the salad spinner while I wait for the water to come to a boil. I generously salt the water with a full tablespoon of salt. It makes waiting for the water to boil a bit tedious, but I think it really adds to the flavor of the kale in the end. I've found that the 5 minutes recommended for wilting the kale is just about perfect.

I soften the onions and add the seasoning according to the recipe (though a bit more than a pinch of the crushed red pepper better suits my tastes). Before adding the kale, however, I also like to add a starch, a protein, or a starch and a protein to round out the dish and really make it dinner. In yesterday's version, I simply boiled some redskin potatoes that I had on hand, cubed them, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and added them to the mix. An even easier version uses drained and rinsed canned garbanzo beans. And when I'm feeling like including some protein, cooked chicken sausage, sliced and then cut into quarters, is the perfect addition.

Of course, once the kale is added, a little finishing salt always adds some flavor. I usually skip the extra oil, though. And, in a pinch, regular old paprika works just fine - as long as you like a savory onion flavor!

Find the recipe here: Sauteed Kale with Smoke Paprika

No comments:

Post a Comment