8.17.2009

Wine of the Week: NV Bodegas Alconde Rosado Fresco

This week's wine is, of course, another rosé (I wasn't kidding about that rosé phase I mentioned). I went to my favorite wine shop last week to snatch up a bottle of my thus-far favorite rosé, and when they were (gasp!) out of it, I ended up with this instead. No worries - I am happy for the opportunity to try yet another recommended rosé.

The Bodegas Alconde Rosado Fresco hails from Navarra, Spain and, other than its frosty bottle and watermelon pink color, perhaps the most noticeable thing about it is the fizz! Yes, this wine is from the "Colección Semi-Seco" and sports some spritely bubbles. Catchy, but to return to my always underlying rosé question - Is it any good? The short answer is yes - at $11 a bottle, it has its place...and that place is on the patio.

This watermelon-hued, fizzy wine has strawberry aromas, with a touch of green apple and maybe some pear. Chilled to a proper "white" temperature, or even beyond, it presents as a bit more dry than it really is, with enough acid to be really refreshing. It is medium-bodied on the approach, light in the mid-palate (where it all but disappears), then long on the finish. And the taste? Strawberries again, with a touch of pink grapefruit bitterness and perhaps some Granny Smith apple. It's not the most complex wine ever, but fun enough on one of those 90 degree days we've been enjoying in this part of the country. Happy August...

1 comment:

  1. I told Liz we have to try this. It's on the (ever-growing) wine list...thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete