4.28.2009

Poached-Egg Topper

Originally, I didn't make this salad for garlic.pepper.parsley, but because I was hungry! It was so pretty when it was done, though, that I couldn't help but take a picture. Then, while looking at the picture, it came to me that maybe this little quick-meal trick of mine might be useful to others, so I decided to post it.


If it seems odd to put a poached egg on top of a salad, I have to ask you to suspend your disbelief for just a moment and stay with me. When I was still cooking for one, not to mention trying to maintain my pre-wedding weight, this dish made a frequent appearance on my table. Why? Because it's light, reasonably balanced, easy to make, and a good way to use up vegetables (and eggs) before they go bad in the refrigerator! And, the added protein from the egg really turns the salad into a meal. You can add dressing to the salad before adding the egg if you'd like (a light vinaigrette works well), but you don't need to, because the runny egg yolk makes a nice dressing by itself. As always, I'd recommend adding a few turns from the pepper grinder as well.

Poaching an egg is not the easiest thing to do, but it also isn't hard if you use my method. The end result may not be the most beautiful thing ever, but it works! I just fill a very small frying pan about 2/3 full with water and add a splash or two (about 1 tsp.) of vinegar. Then, I heat the water on medium until bubbles start to form on the bottom and sides of the pan. I crack the egg into a separate bowl and drop it into the center of the pan. While the sides of the egg white cook, I spoon water over the top of the egg until the white turns opaque over the yolk. Then, I use a slotted spoon to remove the egg and place it on a paper towel for a couple of minutes to drain. That's it!

If you still just can't bring yourself to put that egg on top of a salad, try it on pasta! The yolk works as a great simple sauce. And, "an egg on top" is a popular food trend this year, so you'll be on the cutting edge!

No comments:

Post a Comment