7.31.2010

Wine of the Week: Caparone 2006 Paso Robles Aglianico

The Caparone 2006 Aglianico has become so much a part of my life that I almost forgot to write about it. It's true - it wasn't until I picked up the August issue of Wine Enthusiast and saw Aglianico mentioned as a good alternative to an earthy Cab in the "Drinking Outside the Box" article on wine alternatives, that I remembered that not everyone is as familiar with the Italian red as I've become. In fact, most people would probably say "Ah-lee-what?" It's pronounced "Ah-lee-ON-ee-koh", and if you think you'll have a hard time remembering that, don't worry - after you try this wine, you might, like me, decide that you need to keep a bottle on hand at all times.

I have the recommendations of my neighborhood wine shop (yes, I've found a good source of recommendations!) to thank for introducing me to this bold, delicious red. Caparone 2006 Aglianico is a deep inky ruby color - a little mysterious. The aroma is rich and rustic, with a hint of barnyard, a lot of earth and leather, and some purple fruit - rich blackberries - on the back.

As you might guess, this wine is full-bodied - chewy, with prominent tannins. The taste is incredibly rich and bold. It's not too fruity, but blackberry and black currant are definitely present. Also present are a bit of barnyard again, some black pepper and a smoky charred component. The wine is well-balanced - with lots of everything! And it has a long, long finish.

This wine has a particular style that reminds me of a Super Tuscan. And while it is exceptionally delicious, it is not for the faint of heart! It IS a good introduction to how "barnyard" can be pleasant in a wine, though, and at under $20 a bottle, it works for a special occassion or just for a night in. I think it is a perfect bottle to open when I have a surprise guest stop by, particularly if a glass of wine is the sole refreshment - this wine stands wonderfully alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment