6.19.2010

Rhubarb Cardamom Galette

Rhubarb season is here. And - let's face it - rhubarb is not everyone's favorite. I, for one, am not fond of the copious amounts of sugar that seem to be inherent to every rhubarb recipe. But, like it or not, I am sure to receive my fair share of rhubarb in our CSA box. And, if we're trying to eat local...

I have found one "cheater" recipe that is an easy use for my rhubarb, thanks once again to Sunset magazine. The bonus is that it also uses cardamom, which is my new favorite dessert spice. Pick some up in the bulk aisle if it seems too pricey!

Unfortunately, the Rhubarb Cardamom Galette is not an exception to the sugar rule. However, it is not cloyingly sweet in the end (I promise), and I've found that it makes an excellent breakfast pastry when made ahead of time and served at room temperature. And it is quite good - sweet, sour, flaky, buttery, and exotic. And, yes, I purchase the puff pastry - making it myself is one territory into which I have yet to venture!

The recipe suggests using only red rhubarb, but I think it is pretty regardless - pink and green make a lovely spring color combination. One other piece of advice when making this recipe? It is important to make sure the rhubarb is packed densely side-by-side in order for the flour, sugar, and spices to meld properly. Gaps will leave you with dry spots of raw sugar and flour - not so appetizing! Trim the crust if you don't have enough rhubarb.

You can find the recipe for Sunset's Rhubarb Cardamom Galette here.

No comments:

Post a Comment